Wednesday, September 19, 2007

So I take back "hate crime"

I may have overstated my point when I called Maher's "promotion of misogyny...a hate crime". There is no comparison to the real hate crimes that are comitted hourly around the world, but there is a similarity because hate breeds more hate and as a woman I have to use my voice to speak out against misogyny. I can't help myself!

For me this issue is more about Maher's misogyny than it is about breastfeeding. Although, I am a huge supporter of breastfeeding and will post some great stats in a minute, it is the way in which Bill expressed his opinion with mockery, disrespect, and venom that struck me so strongly. Not only is he wrong about breastfeeding, childbirth, women's bodies and value, but his anger is palpable and promoting of further ignorance and hatred.

Hatre and intollerance is what I am taking a stand against.

No comments: